A listening Ear

 




Our two younger daughters are complete opposites. One of them constantly seeks my direction and approval. She often wakes up asking questions like, "Mom, what are we going to do today?" or "Can I make myself a sandwich?" and "Can I play outside for a little while?" She is always looking to me for guidance.


In contrast, our other daughter rarely seeks direction. She wakes up and goes straight to the TV. Without paying much attention to the breakfast that's already prepared, she helps herself to whatever she wants in the refrigerator. She seldom asks for my advice on anything, and even when I try to direct her, she quickly interrupts to share her own thoughts.  I often find myself wondering if she retains anything I say.


I believe the world would celebrate the second daughter. She is an independent go-getter and a natural leader.


However, the Bible would likely applaud the nature of the first. She reminds me of a little sheep that constantly needs guidance and requires someone to lead her. She listens with eager anticipation.


When Jesus spoke, he often said, "Those who have ears, let them hear."


I'm convinced having ears to hear means having the ability to receive guidance. It involves constantly maintaining a listening posture.  It means seeking heavenly approval and approaching God's word daily, eager to listen and receive direction.




Comments

Popular Posts